Skip to main content

Schumacher: I feel safe in Bahrain

updated 6:57 AM EDT, Fri April 13, 2012
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Michael Schumacher says he feels safe going to Bahrain
  • Seven-time champion has friends in the gulf kingdom
  • Red Bull's Mark Webber says he wants to race in Bahrain
  • F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone meeting teams Friday

(CNN) -- Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has dismissed security fears ahead of next week's Bahrain Grand Prix.

The race is in doubt for the second straight year amid anti-government protests and civil unrest in the Gulf kingdom.

Seven policemen were injured Monday in a demonstration calling for the release of human rights activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja, who is on a hunger strike in protest at the life sentence he received for his alleged role in the ongoing troubles.

But Schumacher, who is in Shanghai ahead of this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, told CNN he had no concerns about competing in Bahrain.

Economic importance of Bahrain F1 race
Mexico's new F1 hero
Vettel on Bahrain F1 uncertainty

"I have good friends over there and I feel safe there," he said.

Schumacher's Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg told CNN that he had confidence in the FIA, the world governing body of motorsport, to make the right decision.

"They are the best people to judge, we just have to trust the FIA," he said.

Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone is due to meet the 12 F1 team principals in Shanghai Friday and FIA president Jean Todt when he arrives in China 24 hours later.

Ecclestone told gathered reporters that he believed the grand prix, the fourth round of this year's championship, would still go ahead.

"It's another race on the calendar, it's scheduled," said the 81-year-old. "The only people that can do anything about it is the National Sporting Authority in the country.

"They can ask for it to be withdrawn from the calendar. Unless it gets withdrawn by them, then we'll be there."

If we had a choice would we go? I want to race. That is what I would like to go there and do
Mark Webber

Red Bull's Mark Webber, who publicly opposed going to Bahrain last year, told his official press conference Thursday that he wanted to race, but it was a difficult decision.

"I have tried to watch the news to get the most balanced view that I can possibly get without getting too corrupted by false information," Webber told gathered reporters.

"It has been a little quieter, but this is Mark Webber sitting here -- I have as much information as anyone else.

"If we had a choice would we go? I want to race. That is what I would like to go there and do.

"But saying that you cannot ignore the fact that all of us, in the backs of our minds, want it to go down smoothly and don't want it to be involved in the unrest."

Meanwhile, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton has had a five-place grid penalty imposed for Sunday's race in Shanghai due to a change of gearbox.

Hamilton, who has started on pole for the opening two races of the season, finishing third each time, will now occupy the third row at best due to the penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
updated 7:10 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Thu May 22, 2014
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
updated 10:59 AM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
updated 11:00 AM EDT, Thu May 1, 2014
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
updated 11:16 AM EDT, Wed April 30, 2014
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Fri April 25, 2014
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
CNN's Amanda Davies visits the headquarters of Mercedes, the dominant team in Formula One this season.
ADVERTISEMENT